The living space has developed a language, a mode of dialogue amongst itself. Each fragment is another puzzle piece inevitably leading towards an understanding of miscellaneous human identity.
My ideas are informed by environment, the domestic home and human nature. I am fascinated in in the way we, as humans, fill a space. As animals our primitive needs are to eat, sleep and reproduce. The domestic home has rendered these needs extremely accessible with the ease of modern life. We are now functioning wild animals, surrounded by domesticated space.
The figures in my paintings are simply embodied suggestions of humans. Fleshy creatures are smudged across the canvas; they manifest the space, own furniture, play chess and obtain decorative foliage. The domestic settings which the figures adopt are highly psychological. Often vague and obscure, combining both interior and exterior, both merging and separating in tandem.
There is a level of humour and irony, painted in a playful manner and riddled with an underlying twist. Whilst my understanding of bodily presence has led me to themes such as phenomenology, alienation and existentialism, these spaces are not physical but emotional, manifested through depth and sensation, by merely domesticated beings.
Selected Exhibitions & Awards
- Award winner
- Internationally exhibited
Purchase artwork by Pippa El-Kadhi Brown
Achievements & Goals
- Living and creating art in Chongqing, China for 3 months, and exhibiting there at Organhaus Gallery
- Having my first solo exhibition in London at Creekside
- Production Designing my first feature length film
- I aim to continue producing work, expand my practice and experiment with new ideas and techniques
- I want to travel as much as possible and further expand my audience
Genre & Style
- Abstract figurative
Inspiration & Vision
- Familiar surroundings; objects, rooms, people. Things that conjure emotion in one way or another
- Interesting sculptural forms, relics and artefacts
- Colours schemes, unexpectedly placed together in obscure places/on random objects like signs, fabrics, films
Sales & Trajectory
- Already sold works
Technique & Material
- Oil paint